Our Mission

Our mission is to create models of learning that support and inspire collaboration in a cross-curricular, inquiry-based community.

Monday 6 February 2012

Leah's Update..."Staying Connected Through My Website and Blogger"


- Leah Samson
So, this semester I have made a 'vow' to stay more connected to my students.  I must admit, this was in a way, to save my own sanity as well:)  I used to be one of those teachers who came in early and stayed really late prepping lessons, marking and just talking with my students.  However, having an 18mos. old at home, needing to be picked up, brought to play dates and doctor's appts. has put a 'kink' in my usual schedule at school!  Therefore, I need to do a lot of my work at home (after 7pm bedtime) so having a website and blog has really helped me to stay connected.  I use my website as a 'home base' where students can print off extra photocopies, important documents and watch videos to enrich their learning.  I use my blog as a 'daily diary' if you will.  I 're-cap' what has happened in today's class and a 'preview' of tomorrow.  I may also remind them of homework or ask them to respond to an 'essential question' for class (in the comments section).  I have found this to be GREAT for me-I no longer have to deal with 'I lost that photocopy' or 'I missed yesterday' what did we do questions (although I am clear that reading the blog/website in NO way replaces class and the learning that happens there).  I have just started using this technology on a regular basis and am really enjoying its benefits, now of course, I had to ask some students about their thoughts.........
"I really like the blog because at the end of the day it saves me the time in trying to remember what we did in class that day-instead I can just re-cap it on the blog.  That way it guides me in what I should be studying that night and for the next day."  SS11 student
"I really like the blog/website because if you are having a 'slow day' in class it is a tool I can use to 'catch back up.'  I also like it because it prepares you for the next day-what should I look at?  What can I be ready for?"  SS11 student
"I love the blog/website because it is really well laid out and I can go back and look at what we have done in previous classes as review.  Although it does not 'replace a class' it does help it you miss one class and you want to know what you have done that day (so you are prepared and caught up the next day)."  SS11 student
"I really like the blog/website because it gives us the opportunity to say things that we may be 'too shy' to say/comment on in class." Psych 11/12 student
**I also did a poll in my SS11 and asked 'who checks the blog/website everyday, 28/30 students raised their hands.

1 comment:

  1. I am apologising in advance for the looonngg comment. I checked out your blog - looks great. In case I don't make it on Wed I thought I would add to your post. I considered this format myself (where I post what we did and reminders) but I did not want to have to post everyday for them as I wanted to try and make sure that the kids were still having to accept responsibility for their own homework tracking. I have found that keeping a narrow focus / learning intentions clear and criteria / expectations clear/modelled with the kids has greatly improved the results.

    However, I did something similar with my classes this last semester and plan to continue. My En 9 had literary response blogs and with varied successes most realised they did benefit from the experience - intended and unintended learning outcomes (eg develop writing skills - intended, problem solving and accountability discussions / progress - unintended but valuable). My Hum 8s are doing what you are doing for your class - but I am having them do the "Learning Blogs". I hope to change the focus for the gr 8s next week since we have been doing them since November. My Law 12 - will be blogging but I have not yet decided the focus. I hope to work it out with the class in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete